VCS is currently looking for an experienced engineer with the skill sets outlined below. The position is located in Michigan working in the aerospace industry. This is a 1 year full time commitment.
- An in depth practical knowledge and experience of power electronics within Motor Drive applications, including AC motors, Brushed and Brushless DC motors, stepper motors, synchronous motors and other types would be a distinct advantage. Good and practical skills set in Control Engineering field as applied to motor control would be one of the essentials. Practical knowledge of simulation tools such as Saber, Simetrix and Matlab is a distinct advantage. In addition an in-depth knowledge of the Saber MAST language for behavioral models and associated tool chains for detailed component level simulations is also desirable, as is the ability to develop models for various electrical motors.
- The role will involve requirements flow-down and specification writing based on the model to various engineering groups including mechanical, electrical and electronics.
- The role includes close coordination with the digital electronics team working with model based design for FPGA implementation. Therefore a good understanding of digital electronics is one of the essentials.
- Responsibility includes execution of highly technical projects spanning from concept development to detailed design engineering. These projects require the use of simulation tools, design for reliability and DFSS methodologies as appropriate for civil & military aerospace applications. This position acts as a point of contact for both the technical lead and the program management team and works within a small to medium sized technical team of power electronics, digital and analog electronics and control engineering specialists reporting to the Engineering manager – Electronics Products, supporting the larger engineering department in this specialist discipline.
- Design, develop and test power electronics solutions as required.
- Work alongside the analog, power electronics, controls and electromagnetics engineers and associated product teams to develop motor control solutions for various motors including but not limited to brushless DC, AC and brushed DC.
- Produce analytical designs using SABER/Matlab/Simetrix or similar to tight timescales and be able to then convert these analyses into practical designs in conjunction with other disciplines within the Engineering department. Devise methodology for validating the output of the models.
- Flow down requirements based on the outputs of the models and lead the modeling and simulation function.
- Originate and develop SABER models in line with requirements.
- Support the program management as required with planning information and conformance assurance to objectives and schedules.
- Support Engineering manager and Program Managers with technical input for internal and customer PDRs as required and various conferences as appropriate.
- Work to aerospace standards such as DO160, DO254, DO178 and other required standards as applicable.
- Engineering Degree or equivalent work experience in the area of Power Electronics design
- Working knowledge of SABER including MAST language for behavioral models
- Development of reliable power electronics, filters, motor models to schedule
- Model validation
- Assessment of performance parameters such as total; harmonic distortion, in-rush currents, etc.
- Strong project management skills with good prioritization and time management
- Requirements decomposition from system level specifications and flow-down to detail design team
- Formulation and flow down (or up) of derived requirements from higher level specifications
- Good and practical understanding of design techniques for electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)
Please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org